Storage & Cleaning
CANADIAN FUR COMPANY celebrated its biggest storage volume last year for three great reasons:
1. BEST ON-SITE STORAGE VAULT
50° Fahrenheit / 45% Relative Humidity
- Cooler, drier than 70°/70% Air Conditioning
- Prevents dry rotting from absorbed moisture
- Adds years to a fur garments life
- Immobilizes moth larvae to death
2. BEST PRICES
|Fur Trimmed Cashmere||$30||$55|
|Hat or accessory||Free||$20|
3. BEST FREE SERVICES
- Free pick-up appointments April-June most areas in Allegheny County
- Free repairs on furs purchased from us with annual storage
- Free minor repairs on furs purchased elsewhere
- Free appraisals on furs purchased from us with storage
- Free repair & remodeling ‘firm’ quotes
… the best vault, the best prices, the best service…Call 412-471-1330
Important Things To Remember...
- “Wear and tear” guarantees on purchases here will not be honored on fur garments stored elsewhere, including home. Storage is a small price to pay.
- ‘Rock salt damage’ to the fur can occur if salt stains appear on the lining at the bottom. Salt is also on the fur, and salt can damage a fur permanently.
- ‘Mention all known repairs’ at storage time. Canadian Fur Co. is excellent but not perfect at finding repairs. An associate will call with a cost, if any, and repair charges will never be added to a bill and work will not begin without a customer’s permission. Keep in mind that minor repairs not handled this season can become major repairs next season.
- ‘Moth larvae’ occur in the best of homes, now more frequently than ever. Storage at 50° temperature/45% dry humidity will immobilize moth larvae to death.
- ‘Dryrotting’, where the consistency of a fur’s hide has weakened from absorbed moisture, may result in tears which can not be repaired to last by a fur sewing machine. Furs absorb moisture from air conditioning and sub level rooms like basements which is why storage is essential.
If a fur is shedding around the bottom, place the garment in two closed plastic bags and call Canadian Fur Co. immediately before permanent damage is done.
…And Not To Forget:
- ‘24 hour notice’ is required to pick-up storage, without exception. The volume is too high and concentrated around weekends and bad weather.
- ‘And not to forget $10 per garment for UPS delivery’ UPS home or office afternoon delivery can be scheduled for Tuesday thru Friday.
- ‘Free appraisals’ will continue on purchases with storage. Canadian Fur Co. will appraise based on replacement cost unless requested otherwise and more insurance carriers are requiring current appraisals every three years now.
- ‘Valuable items riders’ for furs are advisable on a customer’s homeowner or renter insurance policy. These insurance riders are less expensive and last longer than purchasing additional insurance at $10/$1,000 of value from Canadian Fur Co. while garments are in storage.
- Clean every third year at minimum unless a garment is heavily soiled or exposed to foreign substances like makeup, perfume, hairspray or rock salt. If an exposed fur is not cleaned, permanent staining or a more rapid breaking off of outer fur (called “guard hair”) than normal will occur, particularly around the collars, front edges, pockets, seats, elbows and cuff areas.
- Cleaning is accomplished in a drum through a medium, in this case a corn cob treated sawdust. It’s not like dry cleaning, where solvents are applied directly to the garment. The sawdust in a spinning drum goes into the fur of the garment, adhering to dust, body soils and foreign substances. Then, the sawdust is pulled to the sides of the drum by centrifugal force, a gentle yet age-old process.
- Glazing is done automatically after cleaning. It is a water and silica conditioning solution that is ironed onto the fur to keep the hide supple and the fur from drying out.